Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ferret lovers! I need your opinions!?

I recently bought a ferret because I have wanted one for a long time, and he is the sweetest little guy ever. My husband was not sure about him at first but within a few short days he fell in love with him too. The problem, however, is my mother-in-law. She does not know anything about ferrets and automatically decided that she does not like him at all. She has begun making rude comments to me and tells me how she thinks it is ridiculous that I have a ';rat'; for a pet.


It angers me to no end that she is being so disrespectful and mean. Does anyone have any opinions as far as what I can say to her to get her to shut up or does anyone know any good websites where I can get info to show her that ferrets are in fact very good animals?? I know she is basing her opinion on the fact that she just does not like ferrets and she does not have any real facts to back up anything that she says.Ferret lovers! I need your opinions!?
I'm really sorry you are going through this; it can be very difficult to have people around who are so negative around the kind of animal you've chosen to keep.





I have a couple of very sweet, even tempered pet snakes that I am incredibly attached to, and I have family members think it is fun to tell me that they'd make a good pair of boots, or tell me how whenever they see a snake, they take it's head of with a shovel.


When I had ferrets they did the same thing, calling it a rodent, or saying if they could get their hands on a bunch of them, that they would make them into 'a lovely coat', etc.





Understandably, that upset me. Finally I sat them down and calmly explained that it bothered, hurt, and offended me when they said things like that. I asked how they'd feel if someone was telling them that they'd like to kill their dog or their child and make it into a fashion accessory. I told them that I would appreciate if they kept their comments to themselves.





When someone called my ferrets 'rodents', 'rats', etc, it is a clear sign of them being ignorant. I generally explain that they are related to badgers and otters, not mice and hamsters. Unless your mother in law is a truly cruel woman, if you explain to her nicely and calmly that her comments hurt you, she will back off.





I have included a list of ferret informational websites that you may want to show her:





http://www.everythingferret.com/index.ht鈥?/a>





http://www.weaselwords.com/





http://my.en.com/~rcmcr/info.html





http://www.maferrets.org/info/index.htm





http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/ferrets/a鈥?/a>





http://exoticpets.about.com/b/a/062595.h鈥?/a>





And here is a list of reasons ferrets make good pets:


http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/ferrets/a鈥?/a>





I absolutely adore ferrets, and as soon as I finish moving and getting my life adjusted, I am fully intending on getting myself another kit or three. They are some of the best animals anyone could ever ask for. Every time I see a ferret bouncing around the room, so full of life and trying to get their owners to play with them, it makes me flabbergasted that anyone could possibly dislike them.





I wish you luck with your mother in law, and I sincerely hope this helps.Ferret lovers! I need your opinions!?
First tell her you don't appreciate her rude comments. If she has a pet, try telling her to put herself in your shoes so she understands your side. Ask her if she likes her pet called ugly. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
My friend, has two, they live in the living room, are always running around and she loves them to bits but some people who visit call them smelly, so she says to them, WELL I BET YOUR POO STINKS WORSE THAN THEIRS doesn't it, upto now she hasn't had an answer, so she must be right, try it on her, I keep 7 rats in my living room visitors say yuk, and aren't they smelly, I say no, and get some big boys out, I kiss and stroke them in front of visitor, and either they warm to them and start saying they want one, or they stick to their YUK. if its still YUK then I am afraid its well don't call again GOODBYE.
show her some cute photos of you haveing cuddles with ferret
Sit her down and express to her how much you love your ferret. Show her how cute and playfull your ferret can be. If all else fails, ask your hubby to talk to her.
Try to convince ur in-law, also get help from ur hubby. After some times she will also fall in love. But support of ur hubby is must. then u can say her to shut up. Pls keep respect in her.


After all she is ur mother-in-law.





Happy living





Brajendra
I know I've also ran into relatives and other people with the same attitude. I found no matter what I said or showed them they still remained 'Nay-Sayers'. I informed them that ferrets are highly thinking carnivores and that they were actually used on vessels to 'kill' rats! Still nothing seemed to affect their thinking.....That is until one day when my brother came to my home to work on my computer. At the time I had 15 ferrets and all were 'free roamers'. I asked my brother to remove his shoes for the safety of my ferrets, he also called them 'rats'. Then came 'Cody' into the picture. Cody was one of my ornery boy ferrets. Cody was determined that my brother was going to like him. After an hour or two passed I noticed my brother spending more time on the floor with Cody than working on my computer!..LOL Funny thing, my brother fell in love with Cody and asked about him when ever he called. My brother no longer referred to my ferrets as 'rats', he started calling them 'ferrets'. I have had several of the same experiences with people at 'Pets Mart' when our ferret shelter did information days there. I took the same approach, let them see a ferret 'first hand', let them pet them and watch them interact with them, their attitudes also changed. I also was on PBS, ';Pets Part of the Family'; with my ferrets, it aired nationwide. I remember the camera crew were a little apprehensive when they first encountered my 'business', but by the time they left my home (4 hours later) they all commented on what charming, little creatures my ferrets were!





So what I'm trying to say is the best way I have found for people to stop 'stereotyping' ferrets is to actually introduce them to ferrets, let them see the playfully, inquisitive, zest for life little creatures that they are!! Nothing explains about a ferret better than a ferret itself!





Good luck and I do hope all works out for you!!
If you have a generally good relationship with your MIL, maybe you %26amp; your husband could politely let her know how much you love your ferret %26amp; that her negativity is upsetting you. As for calling your pet a ';rat,'; this is totally innaccurate b/c ferrets aren't even in the rodent family (actually, rats make great pets too).


Unfortunately, she may never come to appreciate how charming those little guys really are no matter what you do. However, she doesn't need to be rude to you or to pass judgement on your choice of companion animals. We've had a ferret who we loved dearly but some of our friends were actually *afraid* of her, if you could believe that.
You can try buying a copy of ';Ferrets for Dummies'; or checking out http://www.ferretcentral.org but I gotta tell you that it sounds like she's made up her mind and you're unlikely to change it. Some people just don't like certain animals. Just like some people are not cat people, some are not dog people, some are just not ferret people. A little education might go a long way towards making her a bit more informed but she might have another motivation for being rude about your choice of pet. I would go and have a talk with her about how hurtful her rude comments about your ferret are, and ask her if this is really about the ferret or something else. And if she won't stop the rude comments, she's no longer welcome at your home (assuming she doesn't live with you). You might want to talk to your husband about this as well, and about how her rude comments are affecting you.
We once had a ferret and they are so loving and funny ours used to run around the garden playing with the dog we even had a ferret lead and used to take it for walks used to get weird looks but hey it was my ferret.she needs to get to know your ferret to realise how charming a pet they can be,most people think of them as rabbit killers and vermin,ask her to spend sometime with your pet to see if she can change her mind.If she doesn't its her lose and you enjoy your pet.
tell her to mind her own buisness im glad my mum dont care ever since iv been little shes called me her ferrit lol xx
Tell her to watch ';Kindergarten Cop';. The adults in the movie didn't really care for Arnold's pet ferret, but the kids loved it, and at the climax of the movie, the ferret plays a key role in saving the kid from the evil crime boss.





A bit far-fetched, maybe, but it is pro-ferret propaganda.
I am a member of LovingFerrets.com, there are people there that have over a dozen of these loving fuzzies. My mom says the same thing about my ferret, and that she stinks. I keep my baby clean and her cage clean, and if she thinks that she stinks, that is her choice.. But I love my ferret and I plan on getting another, and maybe another after that! I really wouldnt listen to a thing that your mom in law says. If you and your husband love your fuzzie than that is all that matters! check out loving ferrets, it is a free place with ferret lovers and you dont have to sign up to look, you can create a screen name and ask any questions that you may have.. Tell them Fergiesmom sent you!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment