Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How did you select each of your children's names? You don't have to share names just your...?

...story. Any Family Fights?

A. Did you choose an old family name from a relative?

B. Did you read a romantic or wonderful novel and fall in love with a name?

C. Did you make up a name?

D. Did you change their name after labor and delivery

E. Did you bring them home and wait to see what kind of personality developed?

F. Did you select a famous person, or personal hero?



We named our daughter after a woman in the Bible for her first name and then her second name was after my husband's grandmother who had passed away before I could meet her. I just liked the sound of her name.



We named our son also after a man in the Bible that I truly admired. It's interesting, and I don't know what happened but, after his birth, I wanted to change his name. As I held him for the first time I knew that his name needed to be changed. So we changed it. Because I had called him the Biblical name while in utero, I would switch back and forth with him on occasion using both names.



Any other stories out there?How did you select each of your children's names? You don't have to share names just your...?
We had two names picked out for our first born. The doctors knew her gender, but since my wife didn't want to know, I didn't know, either. So, we were prepared, and fairly well before hand, too.



However, we did know the gender of our second-born before hand. And wouldn't you know it? We just could not settle on a name. And so, when he was born, we still didn't know. But when I saw him, I knew. I decided to give him my middle name, which was also my Grandfather's name, and my wife's Grandfather's name.



This was odd, because I really don't like my middle name, but he looked so much like that name, that it leapt to mind when I saw him. My wife likes the name, and was happy to adopt it. So it goes. So it goes.How did you select each of your children's names? You don't have to share names just your...?
Both my daughter's first and middle names come from the Bible. The first name was chosen because of it's meaning and originality (her name means girl). The middle name just happened to be a biblical name but was the chosen because it was the name of my mothers grandmother.
my husband and i are from different countries and have different first languages. what sounds good in my language pretty much is guaranteed to sound bad in his and vice versa.





with our girls we somehow managed to find names that were reasonable in both cultures and with our boys we didn't. ultimately i just started campaigning hard for my favorite names early in the pregnancy and slowly wore him down.....
I always liked the name Emily. And gave her my middle name.





With my son my husband and his brothers all have B names and I like names that end with a long e. So I picked Brody. It was between Brody and Brady. Alexander was picked by the people in the baby names section because I wasn't sure what would work.
My brother in law has the most beautiful name I've ever heard. Its really soft on the ear yet masculine.


When my husband and I started dating, he told me his family member's names and that one name stuck with me. I sad to myself if I ever have a boy, that will be his name.


We have a two year old and we named him after his uncle.
i was 13 and i seen a steven segal movie and there is a 30 second seen where he blesses his son and i said when i have a son no matter who the father this will be his name and at 21 i had him and still kept on that name/
We named our daughter after this cancer survivor we met! She was so positive about the whole thing, so i thought if i name my kid that she would also be a positive person!





The second we name her after this couple who took care of me during my pregnancy in Italy so yeah they were extremely nice!
My wife and I do not talk about how the kids were named because it always ends up in a fight. She is angry at me for some and I am angry at her. In the end though I think it worked out pretty even.
I'll say from a chartoon character that I draw from my memories.
my daughter(2) got her first name and middle from a baby book, i read every page in that book and changed it like 5 times before she was born. i was about 7-8 months pregnant and had about 16 names written on a piece of paper and just put the 2 together and fell in love with it, even after holding her i knew it would be a good name for her. (i only remember like 4 other names i considered and now they sound horrible)





my son(9m) i do not even remember how we came up with his first name!!, his middle name is the same as his dads middle name, i wanted and still do want his middle name to be his dads first name if not just a name we like! (i don't so much like my husbands middle name) but it meant a ot to my husband..
My daughter's name is Jane Athena. No family feuds over it, I was the one designated to name her, so everyone went along with it.





I chose her first name because it just seemed to fit, and still does to this day. It's sweet, simple, uncommon today, no particular religious connotations, a bit old-fashion but not a flash in the pan type and it will age well. Though not the sole reason, it helped that one of my favourite authors is Jane Austen. There's also a number of strong, courageous or admirable women in history, literature, fame and pop culture named Jane and at least no really culturally universally strong negative connotations to the name.





As for Athena, everyone in my family from my father's side has a mythologically-connected middle name. It was by accident that we realized that years ago, but I wanted to make it a tradition. I chose Athena because Athena is the Greek goddess of wisdom, justice and in literature she was one of the more balanced goddesses.
I always dreamed of naming my son after his father, even when I was a little kid I wanted to have a Junior. But my husband hates his name, so that was out.





When I got pregnant, we picked out a somewhat exotic name - Santiago Romeo (Latin last name). Romeo was my grandfather's and great-grandfather's first name, and I just liked Santiago. We made the mistake of telling everyone the name though and we got a ton of negative feedback. I started to second-guess our choice.





Talking it over with my husband again, he finally said that he wouldn't mind naming our son after him. So my dream came true and my son is a Junior. However, now that our son is a little older and starting to come into his own, I think we should have stayed with Santiago Romeo. He has an exotic look to him and the name would fit him really well.





The lesson I learned from all this is to never tell anyone which name we picked until our child is born.
We were having a hard time agreeing on a girl's name for our baby (since we didn't know the gender of the baby, we needed 2 names - had lots of boys names!). We didn't want anything too feminine but also not too masculine-sounding either. One night, I was watching TV and a commercial came on for a new movie (don't remember the movie) and it showed the female star's name and I thought ';that's it!';. When my husband got home, I told him, and he liked it too! We had another name chosen already, but couldn't decide which should be the first name and which should be the middle. After she was born, my husband said ';after what you've been through, it's up to you';. So I gave her the movie star for her first name, and the sports star for her middle name.





For my son, we used the list we'd come up with of boy's names, the first time around, and then just used a process of elimination. For his middle name, we named him after the city where I grew up, so we worked with that to find a first name from the list, that worked well with the middle name.
I picked my son's first name just be reading through name books, etc. I wanted something that was not super popular, but not really unusual, either. When I picked it, it was at #30 on the social security site's list of popular names. By the time he was born, it was up to about #25. Two years later it was in the top 5, and I'm a little irritated about that. I still like the name anyway, and his middle name is his paternal grandfather's first name.





One name under consideration until the end was Henry or Hank. Before I was even pregnant, my husband had a dream in which we had a baby named Hank.
A. No, but both of our families have the name in theirs


B. No


C. No


D. Not the first, but the middle. It was to be Victoria and my husband said he didn't like it. We used my middle name - Elaine, which I had thought about doing anyway


E. No, but I was willing to wait til she was born to pick one


F. No, though there are many cool Katherines in history





My husband wanted a very ';normal'; traditional name, and it was one of the few on my list. I just always loved it. Strong yet feminine. Very classic, never trendy or out of style.
Having a difficult Polish name, at the time.. .and being Helen III which caused a lot of confusion.. .we named our first daughter, Lynn Ann...similar to my name...a part of it.. .but not Helen the 4th...YIKES.



Our son William Allen.. .both my hubby and I had 'Uncle Bills' and we wanted to honor them.. .my uncle Bill had just died of cancer. Allen was the last name of a beloved relative.



Our son David Eugene.. .well, we were in the midst of divorce.. .and I knew this boy would need to be strong...David %26amp; Goliath. Eugene was after my dad's middle name.



Next daughter is Susan Marie.. .just a pretty name that we both liked. It has a nice flow with her last name.



Step kids...

John Francis...already named when I met him at 5 years old...named after his dad

Debra Jean.. .was 3 at the time and carried her mom's middle name Jean.

Sandra Ann.. .also prenamed by her mom...

Donald John...given his dad's name as his middle name...

Todd Lawrence...named after his uncle Larry...



And that's the whole clan.. .all 9 of them.. .not too exciting but we sure had a full house.. .his, hers, theirs and ours.
The short version is that my son is named after both of his grandfathers. My husband is a Jr. but I hate his middle name and wouldn't give it my child. Instead, we used by husband's/father-in-law's name as the middle name. By combining the grandfathers, both sides of the family were honored and my husband and I were happy with the name.



The longer version is that after my first ultrasound, the pictures looked like a baby teddy bear so we started calling the child ';baby.'; Somehow, when my husband said it (and this was before we knew for sure), the name always came out sounding like ';Bobby';. We thought that it would be ok since we liked that name for a boy and there are girls around with that name. By the time I delilvered, we had 3 different boys names that we liked, but kept coming back to the baby/Bobby thing. Once we met him, we knew that Bobby (Robert) was the right name for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment