Friday, August 20, 2010

Photography Assistant? Is it really worth it or is their a better way?

This is a two part question actually.





I want to become a professional photographer. Yeah I know, you've all heard this a million times. I know a lot of the basics of photography through 6 years of professional modeling but I know it will take years of hard work to build my career. I've met a lot of great people in this business who not only specialize in high fashion/editorial work but weddings and regular portraiture as well. I have fallen in love with this line of work and I want to make sure I take the right steps to begin. I was planning on learning through a photographer I have worked with many times through modeling where I live now (most of the great photographers I've met never went to formal schools to learn photography), but my husband got a job offer in Kansas and sadly now we are moving.





So here's my dilemma... I am planning to go back to school this fall at Kansas State University, majoring in Business. I know they have a photography program but I'd rather learn through experience. I have a Nikon D80 and I'm working on getting lights, meters, reflectors, etc. at this time. I also work with Adobe Lr 2.0 at the moment and prefer it to Photoshop CS3 because of it's simplified layouts and tools.





So, my first question is obviously should I try to find professional photographers in my area to work under as a ';photographers assistant'; or is it wise to learn on my own through trial and error while I'm in school?





I want a business degree because I know there are things in this business that a photography assistant will not be taught such as how to run the business end of photography successfully and I want that knowledge. I don't want to know how to answer phones or carry equipment I want real training and help which I would have had here through the friends I've made but I'm afraid some photographers aren't that open to just spilling techniques to total strangers. So any advice?





My second question is I've been referred to a photography text book list and course outline that they use at a great (and highly overpriced), art and design school so you can learn on your own exactly what they teach but these books are your standard overpriced college textbooks and I'm looking for some cheap places online to get photography textbooks for cheaper (I don't care if they're slightly used). Anyone have any sites for me to check out? I've also heard of websites for college students that allow you to read college textbooks online but I haven't found one that has anything on photography. I guess that major isn't as important as ';Liberal Arts'; or something (sarcasm). If anyone knows of a site where they do this I'd love to know... and I'm not talking about illegal torrents, more like the sites that boycott the fact that the people who make textbooks charge you 10 times what they should for them because they know they can.





Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!Photography Assistant? Is it really worth it or is their a better way?
if you really like it why not becuase it sounds like you really want it no one can stop you from living your dream i mean photography that's nicePhotography Assistant? Is it really worth it or is their a better way?
Check Barnes and Nobles for used text books.





Sounds like you really have it worked out..business background, technical info from a college course, practical experience with a pro. You definitely have your ducks in a row!
Firstly...I doubt that you would have any luck in trying to find employment as a ';Photographer's Asistant';. They aren't about to teach anyone their style of photography and tricks of the trade, just to have you open your own studio down the street from them. Perhaps if you found a big studio where assistants might be needed to help with lighting or props, etc....it could happen.


I suggest that you take a lot of classes at a good university or technical trade school. Don't wory about the textbooks...they are the cheapest part of the class. I recommend that Business Administration or Business Management should be your MAJOR and Photography be the minor.

No comments:

Post a Comment