Monday, August 16, 2010

What was the one thing you can think of that your spouse and kids did that let you know that they love you?

When I was going through treatments for my breast cancer 7 years ago. My man and my sons came home one day to find me laying on my bed crying with a huge wad of my hair in my hands.... It had begun to fall out because of my treatments. They all went into the bathroom and came out 10 minutes later with their heads shaved. My husband and teenage sons kept their heads shaved as long as my hair was falling out and until it grew back. They also would put pink T-shirts on when ever they went with me to my treatments... one of them would always go with me no matter what. Sometimes they all came with me. When ever I remember those times, I cry .... it meant so much to me to feel and see their support... how about you?What was the one thing you can think of that your spouse and kids did that let you know that they love you?
Oh PC, that's awesome, and what a neat question! I know they love you anyway (how could they not you incredible awesome woman you!?) but that's just one of those tear jerker, sweet, touching moments that make life so meaningful.





One of the ones that comes to mind to me is a couple of years ago, my little guy was around 4 or 5, and it was Mother's day. This was after my marriage ended, and I do not live close to family and was not in a relationship with anyone at the time.





I was speaking to one of my friends and wished her a happy Mother's Day over the phone, and a little later, called my Mom to wish her one also, and to make sure she had received a card that I sent,





My little guy was sitting at the table eating, and I noticed that he had gotten up and left the table and went to his room. I called him and asked why he wasn't eating, and he came back into the room and threw his arms around me. He had tears pouring from his eyes, and he was absolutely shaking and clearly distraught.





As any normal Mom, I immediately hugged him close and asked what in the world was wrong.





He was crying so hard that he could barely gasp the words out...';It's Mother's Day, and I didn't know. I didn't buy you a present, and you're the best Mommy in the world, and I LOVE you, and I didn't buy you a present. I didn't know...'; and on he went.





I was in tears by that point (still on phone with my Mom at time) and of course immediately reassured him that I knew he loved me so much, and did not need a present to show me that. He was NOT buying it...he was still trembling and tears were still pouring down his little face. My Mom offered to talk to him to see if she could calm him down and reassure him.





He calmed down a bit after talking with her, and hopped down off my lap and went back into his room.





Within minutes, he emerged...and proudly handed me a sheet of used paper that he had folded...I turned it over, and on the other clean side, he had scrawled in crayon in that precious little kid handwriting, replete with big letters- some transposed, some an inch high, all over the place- I LOVE MOM..LOVE MOM...and drew hearts and smile faces all over it.





He was beaming as he explained that his Grandma had told him that he could draw a picture or write a letter and that would be a perfect present.





As any Mother knows, IT WAS!


Still brings me to tears when I remember that little face so devastated because he almost missed Mother's Day, and so overjoyed that he was able to give me a present :)What was the one thing you can think of that your spouse and kids did that let you know that they love you?
I have never had a kind word, or a gift, or a flower. You are lucky
You have such an amazing family!! As someone who had a family member with breast cancer, your story really touched me. I have lupus, and my husband is so supportive. He is helping me organize a team for the Lupus walk coming up in September, knowing full well I probably will not be able to make the walk myself. We are ordering a special bandanna for our dog to wear :) The thing that let me know my husband loved me was when I was sick over my birthday and got sick all over our bed. He carried me to the bathroom, changed me, carried me to the car, and carried me into the hospital. Seeing how he looked while i laid in a hospital bed on my birthday made me realize how he cared. This is while we were still dating, and didn't officially live together. He took off work to stay with me, and when he couldn't, he came to see me before work, on lunch, and after work. Oh, and the last time I was sick he bought me an Oprah magazine :)
There are some pretty extraordinary ladies reside in this place. If you are able to inspire love and devotion like that in members of your family, there are no limits to what you can do in this world. God bless you all! My story is not nearly as dramatic as your beautiful stories are, but here it is anyway. I usually am the provider of physical, emotional and financial support to everyone in my family. So, when couple of years back I broke my leg and was in desperate need of all kinds of help, I did not expect much from my family. And I was wrong to underestimate their love. My husband arranged to work from home for 3 months, so he could take care of me. My daughter was 3yo toddler at that time, and needed me to be strong and healthy to be able to take care of her. She never tired of hugging and kissing me, much more so than when I was up and running around. Somehow my little girl knew in her heart that I needed her love more than usual to inspire me to get well as fast as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment